BIASED BEAUTY: INSPIRED BY VIONNET



Madeleine Vionnet believed that "when a woman smiles, then her dress should smile too."

Madeleine Vionnet was a French fashion designer who, in the 1920's, secured her place in fashion history by introducing the bias cut.  (Merci mille fois, Madeleine!) Both her bias cut and her urbanely sensual approach to couture remain a strong and pervasive influence on contemporary fashion as evidenced by the collections of such past and present-day designers as Ossie ClarkHalstonJohn GallianoComme des GarçonsAzzedine AlaiaIssey Miyake and Marchesa.

TIMELESS DESIGN
Vionnet gowns photographed by Edward Steichen in Vogue, October 1930.
 Spring 2013 Ready-to-Wear

 Spring 2013 Ready-to-Wear
VIONNET 2013 RESORT
1938
TIBI 2011




Vionnet


2009 BARNEYS NY

DONNA KARAN 2012
Vionnet | c. 1938-39
1938-39
 Spring 2013 Ready-to-Wear
VIONNET 2013 RESORT
1931
VIONNET 2013 RESORT




Vionnet Georgette Jersey Asymmetric Drape Gown SS2013

1931




Lanvin 

LANVIN 2013

1933

CACHAREL 2012


1938
VIONNET RESORT  2011
1938


vionnet
VIONNET 2011


GIVENCHY 2010

1928
Jen Kao Gleaner's Tank Dress
JEN  KAO

The more I admired the fluidity and elegant allure of the Vionnet style, the more I wanted to add it to my own wardrobe.  However, I'm not one to spend more than a couple of hundred dollars on a dress, much less thousands. So I  looked around for more affordable versions, and found these (many being on post-holiday sale)...  ENJOY!


ANTHROPOLOGIE  $138
ANTHROPOLOGIE  $158

Image 1 of ASOS Grecian Maxi Dress with Thigh Split

4 comments:

GlamorousGirl said...

nice! Merry Christmas!

http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

Angele Style said...

I adore the quote..."when a woman smiles her dress should smile too." My problem exactly yesterday when taking at home photos trying to find something to wear for New Years Eve. I was smiling just fine but NOTHING I put on was smiling!!! I need a whole new way of creating outfits for myself in the coming year. I also adore how you have put this post together. Giving us "impossible" photographs of women who knew how to dress and then following up with "real" photos that we can use to create a similar look. GREAT IDEA!!!

Heather Lindstrom said...

I always learn so much about designers from your posts Anne. Lovely collection here and I always appreciate the high/low versions. I immediately clicked on a few links here. The bias cut is universally flattering, feminine and yes, sensual. Love it!
Heather

Kim Grey said...

Vionnet was such an innovative designer. She has always been an inspiration to me. Her designs are timelessly beautiful.

I haven't really been keeping up with the new Vionnet designs. This post is making want to see more!