ITS WHO I AM

I love the line from Four Weddings and a Funeral where Andie MacDowell, when complimented on her hat, says "do you like it?  I picked it specially."

That's how shopping should be, no matter what your style.  You pick it specially.

And how do we choose what is special for us?  

When I shop, I have about three general guidelines:

:  Doesn't require ironing or looks good rumpled.

:  Is comfortable.  (Thank you God for stretch jeans.)

:  Is classic with a touch of sass.

This covers a lot of territory.  But if I think about it, what I'm trying to project is a woman doesn't want to be stared at, but rather noticed for a brief moment and appreciated for having taken a bit of trouble.

So, here are the looks that I keep returning to and probably will always love, and why:



exactly 
Soft fabric, neutral color, and an interesting contrast between the conservative sweater and the elegantly sexy skirt.


Stripes, denim & leather

Stretch jeans, classic striped T with a touch of unique styling, and the agelessly glamorous leather moto jacket.




classic and feminine

Softly gathered skirt, classic cardigan worn casually as a pullover.


Oh Michael-Thank you!  #Kors by Michael Kors  #Shoes

This is where I'm comfortable with flash.


cozy

Oh so comfortable, a bit of contrast to catch the eye, and dark color to keep it from looking frumpy.


love the pink

Color, but delicate and kept from being twee with a chunky texture.


beloved basics

If I have to explain the appeal of this look, you probably aren't reading my blog anyway.


9 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Anne, how can I tell you that I agree 100% with everything here. You and I have the same style. I have to be comfortable BUT also stylish, in an understated way. Heck, I don't even wear eye make-up anymore UNLESS I am really dressing up for the theatre at night. But this last photo? I understand 'cause I read your blog. FABULOUS! In fact, it's you who showed me the class in a white shirt and jeans. STYLE ON! Anita

cindy hattersley design said...

My style exactly...sans the heels...can't wear them anymore unfortunately! Great post...if we would all just stick to what we know and love we wouldn't have so many things we don't wear!!

Jen said...

Love your guideline--esp. the touch of sass! Great pictures!

Heather Lindstrom said...

Hi Anne!
I always love to read and see your perspectives on style. These are brilliant and the images capture the look. I don't like fussy things or 'ironing' either. I love the last look and I am a huge fan of 'dress'.
As you know...... xx, Heather

YONKS said...

Some wonderful choices here, exactly how I'd like to look!
Di
xxxxx

summerlandcottagestudio said...

Anne,
LoVe the clean lines and classic looks posted here!
If it was just a bit easier to find the pieces, like the perfect fitting skinny jeans.
Thank you for sharing all the beauty and inspiration.
Enjoy your weekend,
Paulette

p.s. Do you know where the sweet cozy pink sweater can be found, so perfect for cool evenings at the beach?

Heather Lindstrom said...

Hey girlfriend! Love your 'dress' and hoping you will be coming back to the 'roll' soon. I'm back to work-what a shock to the system after 7 weeks off.
Miss ya! Heather

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Anne my dear one, HOW ARE YOU? You haven't posted in a while...just checking to see if you're OK? Anita

Heather Lindstrom said...

Hey lovely!
Anita and I are both pinning your pins and hoping for more
'Dress' in our future. Hope things are great with you in that lovely wine country.
Miss you, xx Heather